Saturday, April 28, 2012

Deals for Dog Lovers

Too much good stuff at GREAT prices.
Treats, decor items, elevated dishes, throws, treat containers, etc.

More beds than you can shake a stick at!
My name is Shannon. I like to shop in small independently owned dog boutiques. It's good for our economy to support the little guy. Shop local. Shop indie. Oh fuck. 
My name is Shannon and I love HomeGoods. I buy things for my dogs that they do not want or really need. I need help. 
Yes, as I found out Thursday great finds for your fur-kids are as close as your local HomeGoods store! Need to find one near you? Click here: HomeGoods 
I was amazed at the HUGE selection of high end/designer label pet supplies at incredible prices at my local HomeGoods store. I was in search of those Harry Barker food tins (see previous food storage article) which I was pleased as punch to snag the last medium one for $22.99 ($56 in catalog) and then the fun began. It seemed everything I picked up was $3.99, which to women who shop means "as close to free as you can possibly get, so why not?" Soon Beatrix had a new DogGoneGorgeous tee shirt, I bought two shabby chic metal leash holders, a box of Lazy Dog Bakery treats, a Huggle Hounds chew toy, Cloud Star Lavender spritz conditioner, Sam's Yams Sweet Potato crisps and I had only been in the first aisle. But they were all $3.99 each so who cares! That's practically free. (I hope Alex is not reading this)
Thrilled to find several items I
saw in Company of Dogs at a fraction of cost.
As I was putting things in my cart at the speed of light I had the HomeGoods manager approach me and ask why I was taking photos. Whoops. As I started explaining I have a blog and custom dog collar company I saw her face relax. She started telling me about her Weinmariner (sure sign I was no longer getting in any trouble) I explained I was going to do a little write up of how awesome her store was and how great the price points are on some high end dog supplies. Then she shared that they have has some issues with local dog boutiques buying their items and re-selling them so she wanted to make sure I wasn't part of that racket. Apparently, many of their dog items are priced below wholesale and many independent shops cannot meet the big dog company's minimum orders, so they buy from there and re-sell. She said the problem is a certain shop (located in the SAME PLAZA, yup I mean you T.B.) as HomeGoods does this and does NOT bother taking the price tag off from HomeGoods before re-stickering the products. This has led to several return disasters where people mistakenly bring the stuff back to HomeGoods wanting a refund for way more money than HomeGoods sells them for. All of this was deliciously gossipy, but all I know is my eyes glazed over the moment she said "below retail" and I started scanning the shelves again.


You can barely get past the end cap without
snagging multiple deals.
























Beds run from $8.99 and up
The Sealy Posturpedic variety for arthritic dogs are $39!









It was bad enough I found things for my own pack of dogs. But soon I started seeing dog deals so incredible I convinced myself OTHER people I knew HAD TO HAVE them! Animal Matters Soft Stairs - $299 online but $59.99 at HG. (didn't Franny needs those?) Crypton Couch cover $199 at Company of Dogs just $69.99at HG (I think Heather was looking for that fabric specifically)I started texting and sending photos and rallying excitement to other dog lovers!
Let us not forget the treats, oh the treats! All the high end premium brands (SoJo's, Plato Organic, Zuke's, Fruitables, Get Naked, Thinkers) I always check expiration dates and the treats are all new product, so no worries there. I just bought Nutrisca dog treats last Saturday at my local shop and there was the same bag at HG for $6 less. Ouch.
The biggest score? I found a 75 pound solid stone garden statue of a Cocker Spaniel my neighbor had been searching for at garden supply stores for 5 years and it was $39.99! (needed a 2 man lift to get that in my trunk) Too much good stuff. Sigh.



So as much as I felt some real shame for shopping at a mass retailer instead of the little guy, I have to say the story of the indie shop re-selling from HomeGoods helped ease that guilt a bit. I may be a sucker for my pooches, but not a sucker who will pay retail for something a shop owner bought below wholesale.
Gates, food storage, cat posts, carriers, etc.
Lots of travel items too like carriers,doggie seat
belts, car seats and seat protectors.

I guess sometimes you have to let your inner shopping whore come forward when it comes to your dogs and the many things they do not want or need. After all, that $3.99 mug that says "My Dog is Smarter than your Honor Student" is something you should not live without. 
Drop me a line if you need something. I found out the next shipment truck comes in Tuesday at 12:30.
             - The Head Bitch


More beds and crate pads.
No way you can't find a perfect
match for your decor with this selection.
Did I mention they have A LOT of beds?

1 comment:

  1. Take a guess where I am headed today...........yep, Home Goods! Thanks Shannon for this post! I haven't been in Home Goods for quite some time and of course you know me I LOVE to spoil my Westies with things they don't particularly want or need, but their Dogmom must get for them!! I'll let you know what good finds I find in our Home Goods!!

    ReplyDelete