Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Clone me a Housecleaning Dog

There has been a lot of media coverage lately about cloning and the ability to clone your favorite animal companion. I have very mixed feelings about this. I mean don't get me wrong, I adore my dogs and cats and yes, I would love to have the ones that have crossed the bridge back in my life. But I also feel science needs to limit itself sometimes too, it's a tangles web they weave with the whole cloning issue. However, I think the bigger question is this... If scientists can reproduce a genetic duplicate of your beloved dog why can't they also create a breed that can clean the house? Can you imagine? You go to work and during the day your dog cleans the house. Wouldn't that be fabulous? Coming home to a spotless abode! No more dog hair, no more slobber on the sliding glass doors! It seems to me if they can breed dogs to do all sorts of things for humans why can't they develop one that likes to do dishes? A dog for instance that likes to mop floors with the enthusiasm of a border collar herding sheep. If we can clone surely we can work on a dog breed with posable thumbs that loves to vacuum. So get to it you science geeks in the lab. Stop messing with nature and work on something that dog lovers truly want...a Labrador that does windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment