Monday, January 5, 2009

Working from Home

Oh I won't lie. Working from home is the best. I can wear my scottie pajama bottoms until 11:00a.m. and nobody is the wiser. I am a naughty child that nobody is looking after...I eat cookies for breakfast and I watch Regis & Kelly. (a delicious privilege I have long thought was only available to the very rich, stay at home mommies and senior citizens) I use my big important business owner voice on the telephone with vendors and act like I am sitting behind a grand cherrywood desk with brass accents tapping a manicured hand. Really I am seated upon funky Ikea furniture in my studio and I am wearing two different colored fuzzy socks because guess what...I work from home! My nails have not seen polish since that wedding we went to last October.
I have a high priced designer cat bed that I envisioned the cats lounging in when I set up my studio, but it remains perfectly tufted and hair free.(it does match the decor very nicely though, a fact that does not seem to impress any feline enough to actually use it) My kitties far prefer my metal invoice in-box on my packing table which is neither designer, tufted or as far as I can tell even remotely comfortable. Still, I like to think the cats are wiser than I. Sully, ever the zen kitty has a knack for identifying my busiest moments working and demands/yowls that I hold him close and whisper him sweet nothings. Yowling continues until I submit to this ritual. I don't know if you've ever attempted to tell a Siamese to leave you alone, but it's not an easy task. I always give in and he makes me realize that sometimes you have to take a break and just "breathe" when you are so very busy. It feels nice. I think all work places should have a mandatory Siamese on hand for this life lesson.
The dogs take turns coming in and staying a bit, sighing and leaving eventually as nothing I seem to be doing in the work studio produces any type of food which seems to disappoint given the amount of energy I am expending. The shag area rug is their studio napping spot and due to lack of space we have a 2 dog maximum on it so they shuffle in and out throughout the day. I love that I can tell without turning around from my sewing machine who is laying down based on movement alone. Dugan plops down with a thud and sighs a bit to let me know once again there seems to be no food in this horrible room. Caelan prances in quickly like a high strung pony and digs an imaginary hole before finding the perfect laying position. Fiona twirls like a ballerina before curling herself into a little spotted snoring setter ball.
Running a home business in this economy is scary. Every day is a challenge but one I love facing, even when I have two different colored socks on. We had a wonderful holiday season thanks to you and so look forward to serving our customers and friends in 2009. We have some new products we're looking forward to releasing this New Year as well as continuing to provide wonderful quality collars that you have grown to love. Thanks for allowing us to continue this labor of love and allowing me an office experience I would not trade for the world. Or at least as long as Regis and Kelly are on the air.

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a wonderful life ! I've dreamed of staying at home and working in my flannel PJ's.

    We are looking forward to seeing what you come up with for spring and Valentines day.

    Have a good evening,
    Ellen & Miss Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caught you. The only thing you left out was the Bon Bon's that you so love to eat while spending hours infront of the tv pretending to be busy doing work stuff. I love you keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete