Monday, February 7, 2011

Snow It Goes


"It's as if you are in quicksand and the same final 15 seconds of tragically getting pulled under keeps replaying."
This is my description of this winter.
Sure it was all magical and beautiful in December. (see photo of Alex and I smiling like fools on Christmas Eve at the dog park as we enjoyed the first few inches) We still had the holiday trance going on back then. But here in the light of February you kind of see things how they really are...frozen. I can't fully see the cul-de-sac in front of my house, the snow pile blocks us in like a prison wall. Trips to the mailbox have become hazardous expeditions requiring full winter gear, a keen sense of balance and treaded shoes. Giant Evil Icicles have become Angry Birds ready to clonk you in the head the moment you try to escape the house for even a minute. The dogs are even over it. Sure it was fun running and sliding into the powder the first few times, but when DogDad had to snow blow the deck and part of the yard to even get out the door the snow became less frolic worthy. It's hard to frolic in 20 plus inches with a frozen layer on top, it just is. The back yard which previously hosted hours of ball playing and romping as been diminished to a 6X8 trampled potty patch. No magic there folks. Just some hard yellow snow. Sigh.
If the non-stop snow and ice are not enough to keep you housebound, don't forget the arctic air! I mean how are you supposed to even get out of bed when the day time high in Chicagoland is 6 degrees? Don't forget the wind chill that make it feel like -21! Thank goodness for bones and chew toys. I see the dogs systematically gnaw away to get some energy spent and I wish there was a human equivalent. So far I bake, and that does not bode well for how my jeans are fitting.
Am I getting old? Or I am just really cold? The Winter Wonderlands of my youth don't seem so appealing anymore. All I do know is I wish I could fast forward the rest of this month and have March be here already. How will you find me? I'll be the crazy lady in the deep thaw chewing on a Kong toy counting the days till I can check the mail in flip flops again.

No comments:

Post a Comment