Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Oh Ye Of Little Faith

The Beatrix is Coming! The Beatrix is Coming!
So Alex and I are getting ready to do our first fostering experience since the Great Foster Failure of 2003 where we took in 12 week old Caelan the Irish Setter. I was already to place her with a family in Wisconsin when Alex cradled her in his arms and said "WE CAN'T! I LOOOOOVVVVVEEE HER!" This was followed by 9 years of Caelan looking at me with disdain and contempt as Alex remained God-like in her eyes.
So, here we go again with a little Ohio English Setter Rescue pup we won a fund raising raffle in naming... Beatrix. Those higher ups at OESR are no dummies. (yes I am talking to you Susan England) Once you get to name one of those little balls of fur you kind of feel responsible for them. Hence when the call for foster homes came we calmly sat down and discussed it in great detail weighing all the pros and cons. Well actually I said to Alex at a restaurant "OESR needs fosters for the puppies, maybe we should foster Beatrix?" I then excused myself to use the ladies room and when I got back to the table Alex had already emailed Susan volunteering us from his iPhone. I think we can all see who the weak link is here people.
This announcement to friends and family was followed by much chiding and apparently a betting pool on how long it will take us to cave and Foster Fail with Beatrix. But I remain steadfast. I want to foster and be successful. I know it will be difficult, but finding her a perfect forever family will be a great feeling. I look at all the rescued setters we've adopted over the years and they all came from incredible foster parents. It's time to pay it forward. So until we DO place Beatrix, don't think your little comments of "When is Beatrix coming home to you?" are not going un-noticed as jabs at our fostering abilities. Our mantra remains "Foster Failure is NOT an option." I just have to keep Alex away from this puppy and we will be fine. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. We look forward to your updates and stories of life with your new foster dog. :)

    ReplyDelete