Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blog Readers have the BEST stories...

The stories and photos keep coming and are the best chicken soup for the soul to help Shannon recuperate. Send a blog entry that inspires to info@luckyfiona.com - Alex

I just saw Daisy's story and wanted to give you another Texas sized rescue!
In December of 2008 I got a really bad feeling that something needed to be done, somehow, someway for something I had no idea about... yet. I am a private rescue and I will pull the occasional animal when I have room but at the time I didn't have room. I was overrun with a litter of puppies that were dropped off, 7 adult dogs, 5 kittens and 8 adult cats. I started flipping through the high kill shelter lists and found an old sorry looking hound after a few days. There was no way he would have ever been adopted, too old, they had him listed as 9 years old. So I started making calls to see if someone could pull him and get him into a rescue but nothing, everyone was as full as I was. My husband and I made the decision to drive the 2 hours to 'bail him out' and bring him home the day he was released from stray hold. What we saw when we got there disturbed us to no end. He was nasty, filthy, stank and weighed almost nothing. We guessed he needed 20 pounds on him to look like a dog again and not a skeleton. He clung to us, begging to be taken anywhere but there, he howled and carried on when we left him to fill out the paperwork and sounded like a wounded wild animal when we had to leave him there. They wouldn't release him without being neutered. I had to go back later that week
He survived the neuter, wonder of wonders being as emaciated as he was. I picked up this 37 pound dog on 12/12/08.

He was promptly named Kelvin (ya know... Lord Kelvin?)
Long story short over the next few months he stayed ill though he did gain weight. He was finally diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure and we changed his diet, routine, supplements, etc. Since then he has totally become a normal goofy basset. Vet revised his age so we are now looking at 12 years old or so. He now weighs in at 54 pounds, we can't let him finish gaining his full weight because of the kidney disease but we were thinking he could have handled another 4 pounds or so. He is my velcro dog, I never could bring myself to adopt him out. His time is short but he'll never ever be left at a shelter again, he'll never go hungry again, he will never need again. He will have his cats and kittens and other old rescues that come through. He will have his rawhides and his homemade treats. He will never be cold.
Pretty good for an old dog nobody wanted and shoved into the night intake bins at a shelter. He's changed my life.
- Carmen Kraus

3 comments:

  1. Carmen - This is why basset people (and setter people) are so great!!!

    I didn't realize you sent this in until I just happened to check her blog.

    I love Kelvin - and I'm so glad you saved him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see such a handsome "after" photo of Kelvin. We just had 2 more puppy mill seizures here in Texas so sadly there is no shortage of helping these guys. Thanks for sharing and giving Kelvin "his heaven" on earth. ~HoneyBelle and Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know everyone has their breed ... and for me its my parents fault. Born into a basset family, raised taking care of bassets, most of which as a little kid I don't remember, but something must have stuck because for me, dogs are dogs, but bassets are ... the best.

    I'm glad Kelvin made it, glad you know what it means to be a slave to a basset.

    ReplyDelete