Thursday, October 7, 2010

Finding a little piece of peace in the company of dogs.


This past week has been a nightmare. My husband, my rock, my everything... has been in and out of the hospital and various doctor's offices with diagnosed blood clots, some superficial, one deep. Each day we think we are getting past it and the next day a new clot appears. It's disheartening, it's maddening, it's all consuming. Blood clots are horrible little creatures, they are often hard to find and once you know they are there they are impossible to forget. The treatment is an ever increasing dose of self-injectible blood thinners and in the words of the doctor "Going on with life as you know it." You just hope the body dissolves them and they never return, but alas this is easier said than done. My mind goes to the worse case scenario and I quickly shake it away, but much like the clots themselves the thought is there and impossible to forget...I just wait for time to make my mind slowly dissolve it.
So this week I find myself seeking small pieces of peace in a warm and comfortable place. In the company of the dogs. They sense something is off and do what they do best, love us and make us laugh. After a 7 hour ER visit there is no medicine like watching your puppy navigate the front of his body into a garbage pail then once accomplished look up at you and whine because he is now stuck in said garbage pail and needs help out of it. The dogs stick to Alex like velcro, they sense something is hurting him. If sheer love of setters could cure any ill he would have been healthy days ago. The 5 of them encase Alex wherever he rests, one on his head, one on either side and two grumbling over who lays on his feet. It's a race to see what dogs can get closest to him with Caelan hoping to crawl inside his skin if she was able. It's moments like this I always think of the vet I worked for who said dogs are not capable of emotion. I could prove this theory wrong in moments as I see them congregate around my husband this week, they know, there is little doubt in my mind.
Watching the dogs off leash has long been my anti-depressant. Years ago when we lived in Washington State near a bay I would take our first setter Seamus and our lab Fergus to the water at the end of particularly bad days. Seeing them so happy, paddling around in the setting sun soothed me. I find here in the Midwest the expansive dog park has the same effect. Alex and I walked hand in hand the other day along the prairie grass and late season flowers, the autumn sunlight painting the landscape. The dogs were beyond ecstatic. Leaping over tall brush like bunnies and pointing snouts in the air in a most regal fashion, tapping instincts that have been waiting to explode. It's impossible to feel worry when you are witnessing such pure happiness. It's contagious, it's obvious, it's exactly what we needed.
So things will get better, I am confident. If I took a poll every person out there has a worry, a crisis, a reason to feel hopeless. Until these things leave my world I will just keep turning to the dogs. Unlike most humans I know they will not fail in giving us uninhibited love, devotion and much needed laughter.

3 comments:

  1. Shannon,
    so well said about the comfort our dogs provide to us. Keeping Alex in our prayers for speedy healing and dissolving of those clots. I have a friend who has dealt with those and she has done well. I am sure all the love & attention he is receiving from you and the dogs will lower his stress levels which helps the body to heal. I have crohns disease and the attention of my family and setters has always helped me feel better and recover. Sending setter hugs from our gang to all of yours. --Anne Stoner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    Great words and outlook. I am so sorry to hear about the rough times. I am in healthcare and clots can be scary so I am glad to hear he is being monitored closely.
    Thinking of you,
    Lauren & Dudley
    *I feel sorrow in my heart for those who have never known the love of a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon,
    I am so sorry for what you are going through...my prayers will be with you. Trust me, besides my husband my dogs are my world. I have partial complex epilepsy and have had it all my life. People around me, some close to me without meaning it, have judged me/discrimminated me/misunderstood me because of my disability. All my dogs do is love me. They don't know I can't drive, they don't know it may be harder for me to have children. They just love me unconditionally and I do the best I can to pay them back ten-fold.

    Your post is spot on, and i hope it gets better for you from here <3

    ReplyDelete