Thursday, March 5, 2009

I Love a Parade...

When I was a little girl I loved parades. I actually still love a parade truth be told. I take Fiona, Caelan and Dugan to every little parade known to man. If there was a magazine called "Parade Watchers Unlimited" I would subscribe. My friend Jill in Connecticut I'm sure is cringing as she reads this and unplugging her phone. She kindly visits me wherever I live in this beautiful country and I somehow always manage to drag her to a parade during her vacations with me. There was the 4 hour long Savannah Georgia St. Pat's parade when I lived down South. Oh yes and then there was the little neighborhood Fourth of July parade when I lived in the Seattle region that included kids on decorated bicycles and one fire truck. I forced Jill to walk in that one with me and our dogs Seamus and Fergus. Last March Jill innocently came to visit me in Chicagoland to help prepare for her wedding and before she could put her suitcase down I dragged her to the local St. Patrick's day processional and her dodging Tootsie rolls from enthusiastic parade float throwers. Poor gal.
Parades just harken back to something simple and pure and joyful. I still get that flutter of excitement when I hear the bagpipes play, I can't help it. Perhaps in this worrisome world we live in we all need to take a day and gather and point and cheer with our communities. We all need a parade.
This year I am excited to announce Lucky Fiona will be a featured participant in the West Suburban Irish Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade being held in Naperville, Illinois on March 14th. We are looking for Lucky Fiona fans to march with us! If you are in the Naperville area please email me at luckyfiona@comcast.net and RSVP, we'd love to have you on Team Lucky Fiona. All dogs walking with our team will receive a free Lucky Fiona leash and collar to show off their L.F. pride. We want to win "Best 4 Legged Entry" and need some fabulous dogs to do so!

*The picture to the left is me with Dugan (note the green mohawk) and my husband Alex as we participated in the 2007 Naperville St. Pat's parade. Notice my husband is in lounge pants as he just recovered from a surgery and was released from the hospital a few days prior to the parade. I still made him go to the parade. This is testimony to how serious of a parade-goer I really am.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha!! For some reason I find the concept "parade enthusiasts" really funny.

    Honestly, if I lived closer I would sooo join you in the parade. Unfortunately, GA is a little far away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a parade here soon in GA (cherry blossom), too bad you couldn't make it here.

    Leslie and I are going to be sporting your collars on our hounds. :)

    I am sure there will be pictures!

    ReplyDelete