Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Stormy Weather


Poor Fiona. She is a scaredy dog for storms and thunder and things that go bump in the night. She is not the first dog that I've shared my life with that fear the rumbles in the sky. Years ago my first Irish Setter Seamus also feared storms and we had a whole routine and special storm blanket we set up for him in the only room in our house without windows. So when we adopted Fiona and a few weeks thereafter had a thunderstorm pass through I was quick to notice her velcro-dog behavior and quivering snout.
Like everything else dog I have well researched and attempted every method known to dog-loving man on how to soothe the fearful shaking beast during a storm. Drugs create zombie-dogs and typically kick in an hour and a half after the storm has passed - then create a coma-like dog for the next 15 hours. Natural herbal treatments and flower essences are helpful but usually don't knock out all the fears effectively. My favorite is the expensive Storm Wrap - Body Wrap products that some have found useful but unfortunately don't work for us. The Wrap is made of bright colored neoprene and results in my still shaking dog not only still afraid but also looking like he or she is ready to snorkel. Ironically the cost of the wrap is also equivalent to an hour of snorkeling in the Bahamas.
The behavioral experts say ignore the behavior or you'll be reinforcing the fear. To which I say "Phooey-pooey you big meanie experts!" When my shaking spotty dogs curls into my lap during a storm and stops shaking I know she just needs the comfort of her Dogmom. No expert will convince me this is wrong, she needs me and this is why I share my life with her! I didn't bring a dog into my life to ignore it when it is feeling scared. Would these experts turn away a crying child who had a nightmare in the middle of the night and needs a hug? (probably...they are meanies after all) I know am I not alone out there either. I personally know a dog guardian who sleeps in the bath tub with her lab when thunder rumbles and another who camps out in a walk-in closet with a body pillow and a quivering toy breed.
So when the last set of rumbles hit our region I set up one of the dog beds in Seamus' old spot in the bathroom upstairs with no windows. I turned on some soft classical music and Fiona instinctively went and laid down till the weather passed. I plopped down next to her and I stroked her head assuring her all would be okay and watched as her breathing slowed and her eyes fluttered asleep. Didn't cost a thing and you know what? I kind of liked the way it made me feel. Loved. Needed. Humbled by the simplicity of making my dog feel secure. No behaviorist in the world can convince me otherwise. I'm no meanie.

3 comments:

  1. Peanut is not fond of storms either. If one hits I have to turn on (what seems like) every light in the house, and the TV in our room at a very loud volume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My babies don't like them either. They need to crawl under the covers of the bed and be touching me. What's funny/ironic about this is that I notice that my heart rate slows way down as soon as I curl up with my dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may sound crazy, bur our Golden, Arizona, is exactly as Miss Fiona here.

    Try getting her in the bathtub. SOUNDS CRAZY! I thought so true, but I was willing to try anything....

    It helps ground them out and reduce the static electricity in their coats. I swear I'm not making this stuff up.

    ReplyDelete