Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Girly-Boy Dogs of the World Unite!


Let me start off by saying I am not a man-basher. I adore my husband. He is a wonderful human being but he has a peeve that I think is a bit universal for men and their animal companions...the worry that their BOY dog looks well, a bit girly. I hear this often from our dear customers so I think I am not alone here folks. I often get emails asking if a particular collar is too feminine for their male dog as their husbands will be upset by this. Also I hear all the time how they love a style if only it didn't have "pink" in it! What is the deal guys? Alex recently commented that I was making Dugan a "sissy-girl dog" by putting The Feedsack on him! (pictured here) First off the collar is blue which is a fine example of a male dominated color. Baby boys wear blue right? Just because this collar has a few daisies on it should not mean Dugan is a sissy-girl dog or gender confused. It just means he likes flowers, what is wrong with that? I think it looks lovely on him.
I wish men would just stop putting their own hang-ups on dogs in general. There is a certain small segment of the male dog guardian population that has to have a "tough" dog to show I suppose that they are tough too. I worked in vet offices for years and saw this over and over again. There was almost a disappointment if their rottie or pitt bull was a sweety-marshmallow personality because they put a spike collar on them and wanted a "tough masculine" dog. Oh and if I had a nickel for every man that wouldn't neuter his male dog because it somehow implied we were emasculating them at the same time. I swear men would self consciously cover their genital region with their hand as protection the minute you mention the 6 month neuter. So silly.
A few years ago I had a great groomer named Paris who thought it would be cute to put green bows in my male Irish setter Seamus' ears after a grooming for St. Patrick's Day. I thought it was hysterically adorable. My husband not so much. I had to hear how "embarrassed" Seamus was although by all accounts he was not acting any differently at all, in fact he seemed a little full of himself post-groom, like "hey I look fine!". Alex felt I had offended Seamus' manhood with the bows. But like most things...dogs really don't give a crap as long as they are loved and fed and there is a soft bed to snooze on. We humans give them the hang ups.
So I invite my female collar buyers to ignore the sneers and jeers from their male counterparts. Purchase that pink collar for your boy labrador! Put a floral print on your male terrier with pride! Pastels for all! Save your gender labels for humans with anxiety, dogs just want to look good. I hate to tell you they're a bit color blind too so they don't know pink from any other light color.







4 comments:

  1. Mr. loves the Lotus! In fact we had professional photos taken yesterday and Mr. wore the Lotus and Zoey wore the Ted. That's right, I put the more "manly" collar on female and the more "girly" collar on my male. They looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have to worry so much about what my husband thinks about the collars I put on my 2 Westies, Max & Sadie. It's my 2 sons, 12 yrs. and 10 yrs., who I have to ask if it is 'manly' enough for Max. It's more my 12 yr. old; he almost always says a collar is 'too girly'! I stopped asking for his opinion because I always know what his answer is going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! my husband has issues with the collars i put on our boy dog too! funny!! That's ok...I still like my adorable lucky finona collars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO true!! I loved reading every single line :)

    ReplyDelete