Saturday, April 25, 2009

My New Favorite Thing

Yes, you know you've gone dog-gone wackadoodle when a dog product brings such joy into your life you question how sad and boring your life must really be! Hence I am here to rave about the highlight of my week...the Kurga Back Seat Barrier. It retails for $59.95 and I would have paid twice that for the magic of keeping a crazy setter contained to the back seat.
Oh just use a doggie seat belt the normal dog guardian would say. Those who share their lives with setters understand that no normal seat belt will contain all that is "happy setter enthusiasm". Standard seat belts end up in contorted puzzles of nylon and plastic buckles that take longer to get unraveled than the actual drive time. My dogs have put themselves in positions with them that would impress most yoga teachers. Also part of our drive time includes my setters barking/howling at any moving object outside the car while alternately looking out every window and also trying to sit on my lap. They routinely do a 32 point search for anything edible that may be lodged under or between a seat. There is lots of shedding and blowing of dog snot on all interior windows. It's not a calming Sunday afternoon drive by any means. I laugh when my groomer innocently suggests bringing all 3 dogs at the same time for an appointment. If she ever drove with just one of them she'd know how suicidal this suggestion is.
One time in Dugan's youth after several car trips with him raised my blood pressure to unhealthy levels I purchased several devices to keep him put. I had him strapped into a shearling dog harness car belt along with his Gentle Leader head harness connected to a leash tethered to a cargo strap. I was feeling rather smug that I was driving without a dog knocking the gear shift into neutral due to front-seat-back-seat-front-seat jumping. Then I looked to my left at a stop light and saw the horrified expression of the motorist next to me staring at Dugan. I glanced in the backseat and quickly realized my Dugan with his back rigidly upright against the seat and leader around his snout resembled a canine Hannibal Lector in his elaborate restraint system.
So the Kurgo is quite a coup to driving without a dog resembling a serial killer maniac. I simply hook my pooch to a regular slip dog seat belt and commence driving. There is no front-seat-back-seat pogo-ing! Heavenly. I'll take my happiness anywhere I can find it thank you and this little number does the trick. (for your own slice of joy you can purchase one for your crazy pooch at www.inthecompanyofdogs.com)

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I need since Sadie insists on somehow and someway end up in the front seat of the car plus it doesn't help she whines for the entire ride. She loves to jump in the car, but once the car moves OMG I need ear plugs. Thankfully when we made the move from NJ to MA the Vet gave me something to calm her down which worked somewhat; thankfully the drive was only 3 hours!! I'm definitely going to check out the site. Thanks so much Shannon. I check your blog daily as both my Westies love their LF collars!!
    Max & Sadie say woof, woof to Fiona, Dugan and Caelan and we say hello to Alex too; we can't forget about him:o)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you shared this. We need it! Dio loves to climb up to the front seat and I feel so mean barricading him with my own arm. Eventually I just give in and let him lap it for the ride, but we're getting a new pup in June and for the sake of all things fair, I will have to endorse backseat riding for all dogs!

    ReplyDelete