Monday, June 29, 2009

Dog Park Cliques

Entrance of Dog Park
While I should be thanking my lucky stars we have such a gorgeous dog park up the street from our house I find myself lamenting like a junior high student that my dogs and I just "don't fit in". Our local park district has done a dandy job of providing 36 acres of completely fenced doggie nirvana. We really have it all - over 2 acres of mowed flat areas of grass to throw a ball in or frolic with other happy dogs. Picnic tables, free doo-doo bags and sealed containers to dispose them in, water fountains and 34 acres of trails to explore, some dirt, some mowed. In addition to niceties like the Port-O-Potty for people who can't hold it the forest preserve staff even puts up little signs to alert you there is mud on some areas of the trails. When I see the sign I immediately find the muddiest dog in the double gate system leaving and ask the guardian where they had ventured, we then stay clear of that region if possible. This weekend a Spinone with a look of delight who had mud dripping from every hair was our indication to not head anywhere west of the ball playing field.

Fiona heading opposite of trail

So why do I turn into the 13 year old with braces that nobody wants to dance with at the dog park? Well - I just don't fit into any of the cliques. You see I take Caelan and Fiona to the dog park and within 5 minutes we become socially retarded from other dogs and dog guardians. First strike against us is that my dogs do not want to play with any other dogs. They are friendly with other dogs who approach them, but they have no time to mingle. While other dogs all greet each other with play bows and butt sniffs on the ball field and cavort my dogs act like they could care less. They have never even stepped paw on the lovely flat grassy areas. My dogs upon having their leashes removed take off like bats out of hell. They do not scamper over to the nicely mowed flat grassy area, they do not stride along one of the nicely carved walking trails. No, my spazzy dogs head into the overgrown brush like prison escapees looking for the fence line. Yes, 36 freakin' acres of land to RUN FREE in and my setter's first thoughts are "hmmmm, how do I escape out of here? Let me run along the fence line looking for a way out!"
Caelan taking off like a wild banshee dog

So while other dog guardians...I call them the "Popular Clique" gather at a picnic table to casually watch their dog's play on the grassy flat area I am already in panic mode that my dogs will find the one hole in the 36 acre fence line and I am off after them. The Popular Clique folks laugh and socialize, share witty dog stories and look beautiful and relaxed. They clutch cups of Starbucks in their hands and their dogs come to them when called. I hate them.
Alex in a high meadow looking for Fiona

Meanwhile my husband and I have become bounty hunters. We take off in opposite directions because of coarse Fiona and Caelan split up as soon as they take flight. We have leashes hanging around our necks in the event of capture and we use our cell phones walkie-talkie style to update one another on the dog's whereabouts "Alex, Alex, come in! I think I see Caelan's tail over that hilltop! Over and Out."
As we canvas the dog park we inevitably meet up with some of the other Cliques. There is always a "Sporty Clique" member along one of the trails. You know them. A person jogging with a Viszla along their side while wearing an Ipod. So obedient is their dog that this clique-ster can even listen to music and get some fitness in with their dog park visit. The only sound I am listening to is perhaps the faint jingle of a collar tag in the expansive meadow in front of me...is that Fiona? Let me listen carefully again...
While calling out the dog's names in vain it seems we always stumble upon my favorite clique "The-Brainiac-Dog-Know-It-All" Oh, those who frequent dog parks know this clique member well. They know everything. They know way more than you about everything dog. They know if you just properly taught your dog hand signals for the recall command you wouldn't be in this mess right now. They almost always have a fanny pack on filled with liver treats. They look at you like you are the stupidest person in the world trying to find your dog at the off leash park. While the "Popular" and "Sporty" Cliques may or may not have their official dog park pass on them at the moment, the "Brainiac-Dog-Know-It-All" not only has their dog park pass on them - they are displaying it proudly on a lanyard around their neck. Their dogs not only listen and follow commands but they do so in 3 languages, are certified therapy dogs, canine good citizens and have so many agility and fly ball awards they are creating a new level of expert for them to compete in. The "Brainiac-Dog-Know-It-All" offers to use their own dog to find yours as of coarse their dog is also certified in search and rescue and just last week dragged some orphan kittens from a burning building.
Sigh.
So like the dog park dork that I am I keep trekking until I find one of the dogs. Sometimes they are so locked on a bird or bunny I can sneak up behind them and snap a leash on. Other times they need to be rescued like when Alex found Caelan in a ravine encircled by a pricker bush. The dogs are always deliriously happy, their tongues splayed out of one side of their mouth and their eyes glazed over in a euphoric bird dog trance. Alex and I rendevous at the entrance gate where it is determined we are all equally exhausted.

Fiona looking for signs of life in the brush
One may think I just need to train the dear setters a little better to avoid this, perhaps bringing them to the park more so they are not such wild banshees? Good theory but in 3 years of bringing Fiona and Caelan every time is like the first time...leash comes undone and they are OFF!
The same theory applies to me as well I suppose. Like that 13 year old who does not fit in with the other teenagers my hope springs eternal that one day I will be like those"Popular"
dog guardians. I want to sip my Starbucks while my dog calmly follows me around the off leash park. Until then I will wade in the waist high grass yelling "FIONA!" and hope that not too many other people notice me.

Fiona and Caelan acting like they have never heard their names called before

7 comments:

  1. This is why the 10-20' lead was invented. Just enough freedom without disappearing forever! Of course, your way is more amusing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...that was a good one!! I guess I would be considered a "drifter" in the dog clique world. I go where there are big dogs playing. Teddy needs action! Other wise I'm on the move! I'm also a bit of a dog nerd too. I bring water, treats, toys, paw wipes and antibiotic cream in a back pack. Everyone makes fun of me until they need one of the items in my bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shannon-
    I am crying. This is hilarious. It reads like my trips to the dog park. I too don't fit into any of the cliques as Trini is like Fiona and Calan. But then again, I don't have a lot of time to fit in, I am frantically trying to find my dog. She would rather flush birds and check out the weeds than butt sniff or come when called. We are going to form our own clique. We are going to be the outsiders/antisocials. If there is two of us, we are a clique, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peanut and I don't fit in either. He loves to watch other dogs, and occasionally sniff them. But he doesn't play with other dogs. Sometimes I wonder why I take him to our park, which is by no means as nice as yours. Our park is a tiny fenced in area, with mulch, poo bags, and trash cans. But then I see how excited he gets to be able to walk around off leash and sniff everything, and somehow, it seems worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Great story, Shannon! I honestly think it's a setter thing. Our local setter owners have created their own clique. We go to the parks at the same time and then stand back when all of our dogs zoom off in different directions, totally uninterested in the other canine visitors. But just wait a bit... as soon as they catch sight of a passing wren, they pack up and then you have a beautiful group of 5-10 spotted dogs dashing along with their heads in the air and big tails flying along behind them. They turn on a dime and once they realize there are other setters they stick together just in case one of them glimpses prey that they can all chase down.

    -Danica and Carter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the Lucky Fiona Street Gang should plan an outing to the dog park. It would definitely make all the other cliques jealous...er...something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is hilarious!!! I swear, Shannon, you should get all your blogs that are about setters together in a book and it should be required reading for anyone considering adopting or buying one. After 35 years of owning Irish setters (6 of the red devils!)I can attest to the truth in everything you say!

    ReplyDelete