Thursday, October 8, 2009

Don't Hate the Player...Hate the Game



Last week my husband and I adopted Lily from Ohio English Setter Rescue. We are so incredibly in love with this dog it has been difficult this week for me to formulate the words of what a bond has already been established in such a short time. I almost don't believe it myself so seamlessly she has woven her way into our hearts and family unit.


Lily was meant to be part of our family. All those feelings I felt upon seeing her photo for the first time were valid, we have a connection that is unquestionable. Every day I learn something new about her yet every day I feel like I have loved this creature forever. In just one week she has brought so much joy, her gentle demeanor has been a tonic. Her happiness over the smallest things, finding a toy, watching a bird... is contagious. You can't help but smile with this dog.


As pleased as most people near and dear to us are that we brought Lily into our lives there are doubters out there. To which I must say my tried and true mantra. "Love me, love my dog." I will never understand those doubting Thomas' out there and I must say I feel sorry for them that they think there is a limit on the amount of love you can share in your heart with a four pawed friend in need. Those of you out there who rescue multiple dogs and cats know what I mean. There is always a friend, neighbor or family member who will learn the news of your recent adoption and give you the lecture on "having too many animals" They will try to shame and guilt you into feeling not so good about something that really is good... rescuing an animal in need. They will remind you that you'll have more vet bills to pay and more food to buy and not to mention more vacuuming. They will guilt you into thinking you will be neglecting your other animal companions with the addition of a new one. They will remind you that vacations are difficult with so many animals to think about providing care for in your absence. They will try to tell you that "somebody else" will take on the dog or cat in question...it doesn't have to be you. Some may say you are just crazy to take another animal in, to your face or behind your back.


Really people? I mean...really?


Number of cats and dogs euthanized by shelters each year: 3-4 million (HSUS estimate)


I will stop taking in animals in need en masse when these numbers go away. Until then, I say keep your judgement to yourself. I am not an animal hoarder living in squalid conditions with sickly uncared-for animals. I am one person who has devoted my existence to caring for animals. If I do nothing else in my life noteworthy I can die knowing that I made a remarkable difference in the life of an animal that had limited options. I don't care if I have to have second-hand slip covered furniture forever and I don't get to take tropical island vacations because I have to spend said airfare on Heartguard for 4 dogs.


I challenge anybody out there to say they don't know a human in their social circle who decides to have "one more child" who really shouldn't. Their marriage is falling apart, they have no financial stability or they can't devote the time and energy to the kids they currently have. When that person announces a pregnancy everybody smiles and fawns over them and plans a shower with cake and presents. When I announce I am adopting a 4th dog I am treated with a "tsk,tsk" and a reminder of every negative thing that could happen. Yes, animal care is expensive, but thankfully you never have to send your dog or cat to college so I think I will still come out ahead.

So to all you tsk-tsker's let me tell you more about Lily. She is amazing. She looks at me with such devotion that I sometimes feel I have to try harder to be worthy of those looks. She is constantly thankful and leans her snout against me often as if to emphasize how appreciative she is of every kindness. She runs like a gazelle in the early morning dew. She has so much joy the day is starting, I have to focus to see if her paws are really hitting the ground she is so graceful and fast. She tilts her head when I talk to her and thinks about every word, contemplates the meaning and wags her tail in response. Every trip to the toy bin is Christmas morning, it never gets old and every tattered well loved stuffie is treated like the most incredible find ever. She takes food gently from my hand and sits like a lady when offered a treat. She is my constant companion. She lays in my studio as I work, she sleeps in my bed as I sleep. She curls up on the rug under the kitchen sink as I cook. She pokes her head between the shower curtain and liner as I shower wondering what the heck I am doing in there. She listens when I tell her no and she wiggles her whole body like a convulsing slinky when I tell her she is such a good girl. She snores a little bit when she gets deeply into sleep and she likes it when I trace the areas around her spots on her muzzle with my finger. She smells like lavender and her ears are like little puffs of fluff just waiting to grow in. If she was a desert she'd be lemon squares because she is sweet and simple and happy and old fashioned. I adore her. My other dogs love her and she entered into our little life without any blips in anyone's routine. She was meant to be. I hope everybody will always allow their hearts and their minds to let "just one more" in. You'll never know what you're missing otherwise. As for the naysayers...let them enjoy their new furniture and tropical vacations, I'm happy with lots of fur flying around and a heart that is full.

7 comments:

  1. She really does look graceful in those photos. What a gorgeous dog! Congratulations on your new addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here Here!! No one ever says, " Wow you're gong to have another kid? Your husband is unemployed and they cut back on your hours at work." But adopt another pet and people look at you like you're nuts. Lilly is beautiful- inside and out. We are glad she seamlessly fits into the family. Trini can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! I have three rescue dogs and people think I'm crazy. I think they are the crazy ones because they don't know the kind of love and joy I experience every day. Congratulations on Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my four rescue dogs and my one bitter cat!! My life is incredibly whole and I owe a lot of it to my animals.
    And no, my house is not a mess, and I don't live in squalor either.
    Are you asking anyone to buy food for your dogs? Vet visits? Is someone's life being personally affected by your decision to love a dog that otherwise would have been euthanized in an overcrowded shelter?
    If the answer is no, then why on earth do they care? As Billie Holliday says: Ain't nobody's business but my own.
    I am thrilled Lily has found such an incredible home. I wish all my dogs could be adopted out to such kind and caring people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Well if you want to sing out, sing out
    And if you want to be free, be free
    cause there's a million things to be
    You know that there are..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we adopted our last child we had our share of people expressing their doubts that we could "handle another one." I can't imagine our family without him. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turn a deaf ear to the naysayers. Lily belongs with you and your family. She could be the luckiest dog ever. I've seen how your pets live and if I come back as a dog in my next life I want to live with your pack!!!

    ReplyDelete