Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Letter from Lily to Her Foster Mom


Dear Nice Lady Foster Mom -
I know you were anxious to hear how I am doing in my new home so I thought I'd write a few lines to thank you and let you know how I am.
First off, thanks so much for all your kindness and for having the wisdom to let me go to such a nice new home. It was hard saying goodbye to you after all the love you gave me.
I rode in the car for a really long time yesterday and had to listen to music that was apparently popular with 21 year old humans but I didn't understand it. I slept a lot and was a very good passenger. Then I arrived in the big city of Chicago! Not only that I ended up in Lincoln Park which is a really hip and upscale neighborhood on the North Shore. Talk about arriving in style.
My new Dogmom and DogDad were really gentle and soooooo happy to meet me. They immediately gave me a style makeover and put a new collar and leash on me. I thought the old slip-lead I had on looked fine, but apparently it was not up to snuff. Maybe it was the fancy neighborhood or something.
I slept in the backseat with my new Dogmom as we headed home to the suburbs. She stroked my snout and rubbed my ears the whole way home and told me how much they already loved me.
When we got to my new house I was pretty set on just sleeping on the dog bed in the backseat of the car forever more, but no, my new parents said it was time to meet and greet the others.
I don't know if it was the gallon of Rescue Remedy or all that lavendar spray but everybody likes me! Even Dugan who I heard can be a cranky old guy at 11 LOVED me. Caelan gave me nice sniffies and licks and Fiona also wagged her tail in joy when she met me. The only creature not too thrilled was Brody the cat. She puffed her tail out like a raccoon and swatted at me when I went to give sniffies under the kitchen table. My Dogparents had a chat with her and she has been fine ever since, I just keep my distance.
This place is great! There are lots of toys and A WHOLE BUCKET OF BONES to chew on! Really, a whole bucket with 19 bones in it. I know this because I took all 19 of them out of the bucket one at a time last night. I also have decided that the leopard print stuffed ball is my new favorite toy.
Last night at bedtime Dogmom put me in a nice big crate with a new bed in it and lavendar scented pillows to relax me. Then she went to bed. Then I howled like a spider monkey for 26 minutes straight. All the dog training books and behavior classes my Dogmom took instructed her to leave me in my crate. Tough Love. I would get used to it. Dugan also began howling in a form of unionized protest after the 15 minute mark.
So at minute 27 she took me out of the crate and offered me a dog bed in her room. Too soft. She offered me a throw rug to curl up on. Too hard. Then she patted the end of the duvet cover on the big bed she and DogDad were in. Just right.
I slept with them all night.
Breakfast time was interesting as I did not like any of the deliciously prepared foods offered to me including Solid Gold kibble, Sojo's Mix or fresh meat. Dogmom was only able to get me to eat a little bit of freeze dried salmon chunk treats, some wet tripe and some white american cheese. I think a diet of tripe, cheese and salmon bits sounds fantastic, but Dogmom says we have to work on something a little more balanced.
This morning I have been running around the backyard enjoying the sunshine and playing with toys and following Dugan around as he promised to show me the ropes. Life is pretty sweet here.
Love -
Lily

5 comments:

  1. Love it! Thank you so much. She looks gorgeous in her new collar!

    She cried in her crate for something like 17, 12, and 8 minutes the first three nights she was here. After that she was fine. I don't think I would have lasted over 20 minutes...I hope we didn't ruin her by letting her sleep with us the last night she was here...sorry! Lol!

    She also didn't eat her kibble well at first here but after a week of mixing it with yummy stuff (i.e. canned food) she started to eat it well by itself.

    So she's doing ok with the dogs? What a lucky, lucky, girl. Thanks so much for everything!

    Love, Foster mom lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is soooo gorgeous and soooooo lucky to have you as her forever home.

    Sweet Lily! Welcome home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a foster cat-mom I think it's so lovely you give LIly's foster such a lovely update on how she's doing. I know personally it means so much when i hear anything or get pics!
    T

    ReplyDelete