Sunday, October 25, 2009

Love Me, Love My Skinny Rescue Dog (and keep your comments to yourself)

Attention people at the dog park, people in the vet office waiting room, people at the dog bakery and people picking up their dogs at the groom shop.
I am aware Lily is skinny!
Do not give me evil looks like I am purposely starving my own dog. Do not whisper to the person standing next to you "did you see how thin that dog is?" like I cannot hear you. Above all do not try to educate me on how I should feed my dog. (this means you lady who loudly suggested Kibbles & Bits is available in the 40 pond bag at SuperWalmart)
My favorite tip on proper nutrition was from the cranky man at the dog park who told me to feed her McDonald's. Oh right, McDonalds! Silly me making her fresh chicken, tripe, salmon and beef and slowly adding fresh fruits and vegetables to the mix to help heal her digestive tract. A Big Mac was the answer all along! (dumb-ass)
I have become so paranoid in public places with Lily I immediately announce to anybody within earshot "She was pulled from a shelter! We just rescued her! I feed her small highly caloric meals throughout the day!"
Truth is Lily is slowly gaining, which is the safe way for her to put on weight. It has been a challenge with 3 other dogs (one of whom needs to lose weight) to get Lily's extra food in without 3 sets of pathetic setter eyes looking at me like "You mean there are other meals besides breakfast and dinner? We want in!" Dear Lily is quickly learning to come to me when I whisper and flag her into the kitchen silently so as not to arise suspicion from the others. No small feat as Dugan can hear food hit a dog dish from 100 yards away.
Lastly - what the heck is wrong with you people anyway? I would never walk up to somebody at the dog park and say "Hey! Your beagle is a big fat ass!" or "Gee whiz your labrador is a huge cow!" Yet everywhere I go people act like Lily's slenderness is open game for comment.
So back off folks. My little gal is perfect in every way and we will slowly get her weight to a healthy place...and Ronald McDonald will have nothing to do with it.

8 comments:

  1. I am a vet and I have to say being too thin is much much better than being too fat!!! I have a few clients who have done things right--they keep their dogs in good shape-- and they are constantly telling me that other people will give them dirty looks and tell them that their dogs are too skinny! It drives me bonkers! The SAD TRUTH is that pet obesity (just like human obesity) is becoming a HUGE HUGE health problem in our country! I only WISH more people would have thin dogs! So you keep up the good work--and I know you are working to get a little more weight on your new girl--but I agree with you to keep telling those nasty people to "shove-it"...they have no idea what they are talking about and they probably own fat/unhealthy pets!
    P.S. The next time a person even mentions that they feed their pets Kibbles N Bits or McDonald's please do me a favor and give THEM a dirty look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me upset that people are passing judgement on you when they don't know Lily's story. Keep your head up-- you're doing a great thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this and you wouldn't believe the looks and comments we get with our fosters.

    It's pathetic. I think she's gorgeous and will fatten up in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. People are clueless! Beautiful picture, she's looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon- Lilly is beautiful inside and out. She has such a kind soul. I know that you are doing everything you can to help her gain some weight at a healthy rate. Next time someone suggests feeding her MickyDee's or nasty food like Kibble and Bits, scoff at them and tell them that's how she got in this spot-- but now she has a dogmom who cares about her and is feeding her quality food!! Give her a big hug and an extra scoop of tribe from us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When our Eddi showed up (long story short, i came home from work and she was half frozen and starving on our porch), her ribs were showing and she was very thin. She also had the obviously "abused" look by whoever had her before us (and whoever they are will rot in hell for what they did to her - IMHO).... I am glad to say that after 6 months of a healthy diet and LOTS of time playing frizbee, she couldn't look more beautiful and completely like a JRT should... As soon as we get our new collar, i will def snap a pic and send it to you so you can see our pretty girl. Keep up the good work, Lilly is in wonderful hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a similar story earlier this year. We fostered 3, 3-day old puppies that had been thrown on the side of the road. Two of them passed away pretty quickly from complications (internal bleeding and an infection), but the one that survived went everywhere with us since she had to be fed every 2 hours. I'd hear constantly "she's too little to be away from her mom" or "she should be with her brothers and sisters." I just wanted to be like "no sh*t. I am her mom since someone threw her out on the side of the road and her brothers and sisters are dead" but I was polite and just said that we were her foster parents. People just automatically assume the worst possible thing.

    Lily will put on the pounds as quickly as she needs to.

    That puppy we had was 1/2 lb when we got her. We got too attached and kept her, so now she is 43 pounds at seven months. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on adopting a new doggie - - she is a very very lucky girl!
    T
    http://ihavecat.wordpress.com
    single in the city - with cat (s)

    ReplyDelete