Monday, January 11, 2010

Dog People are Good People

I often tell female friends of mine to not even consider marrying a guy unless he loves animals. This personal barometer of what a person is made up of seldom fails in my humble opinion and last week in a very non-scientific manner I proved my point again that there is something about people who love animals. Heck, they are just good!
As it turns out The Head Bitch here at Lucky Fiona has two bum knees that need replacing. The first replacement is set for this upcoming Friday. I have been telling all the setters and kitties that Mommy has to go to the vet for a few days and all will be fine. The cats think I am getting declawed since that would be the only reason for an overnight stay.
Anywho, in a serious of medical mishaps that are cartoon worthy it was discovered that my own blood was no good and on the 11th hour I needed a blood donor. In a bit of a panic since it takes time to process the donated blood prior to transfusion I did what any serious medical patient would in my shoes...I posted a plea on Facebook for O + Blood. (Craiglist seemed too impersonal)
Much to my delight I had multiple offers from kind people to donate to me, many were old pals from New York which brought a tear to my eye, unfortunately due to the time constraint I needed a local option. Much to my chagrin however I noted that several people who also offered were people I have met through Lucky Fiona. In a million years I never would have thunk it...people who have bought and enjoyed these silly little collars of mine were willing to donate blood to me for a medical procedure. Love of all things Dogs had brought us together. Pretty amazing, no?
I am super thankful that Dogs (yes I am capitalizing on purpose because I think they are worthy) have been the conduit to bring people into my life that are so compassionate and selfless. I had 2 people who live near me that were O positive willing to donate and both of them are members of The Lucky Fiona Street Team. Wonderful individuals I have met over the past year because we dig hanging out with our dogs and putting patterned collars on them. Never just customers, but friends and I am honored to call them that.
It came down to scheduling availability with the Blood Bank that Laura turned out to be my donor. She is Dogmom to Dio and Jett who are the adorable cockers you may have seen on the blog over this past year. I cannot put into words how thankful I am to Laura and I am sure if I did it would make her blush and feel weird so let's just leave it at I am so very appreciative. Last Thursday as major snow fell Alex and I took Laura to the donation bank and bought her and her hubby Joe dinner afterwards. They just give you cookies and juice at the Blood Bank so we thought she deserved more for her good deed. (Yes, she will receive a special you-gave-me-life-saving-blood-discount on collars forever more)
So I stick to my theory that dog people are some of the best people in the world. Selfless, kind and compassionate. The kind of community I am happy to be a part of. On Friday I am sure surgery will go well and my transfusion will make me stronger than ever because I will have the blood of an animal loving person flowing through my veins. I wonder if I will wake up loving cocker spaniels?

No comments:

Post a Comment