Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Setter-Sunnies




It's that special time of the late summer season that my dogs love the best...sunflower time. We have hundreds blooming around the perimeter of our yard and they attract creatures that the setters go bonkers over. My pointing princesses start as soon as the sun comes up and have to be dragged inside at dark. They love to point and watch the songbirds eat the seeds and have a special love/hate relationship with the squirrels. I've actually seen Fiona pointing bumblebees on sunflower as well, silly girl. While adding beauty to our yard and keeping my "hunting" dogs stimulated all the seed eating serves a purpose as well. The squirrels are rather sloppy seed eaters and spill a lot of them into the mulch which re-seeds the areas for next year's blooms.

1 comment:

  1. How fabulous! I love it when dogs can do their natural behaviour in their daily lives! :)

    Dannan's The Girl, a.k.a. Linds

    ReplyDelete