Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dog Magnet

It occurred to me this weekend while visiting Milwaukee for the first time that there must be some magnetic force pulling dogs towards me at all times. Yes I was missing my pooches during this little 2 day getaway and maybe the dogs of Milwaukee were sensing this but still it seemed everywhere I looked there were snouts.
Our hotel (The Iron Horse in case anybody ever visits Milwaukee and needs a cool place to stay) was dog friendly. Part of the reason I picked it even though I had no intention of bringing our 3 setters. Alex and I have driven cross country twice with dogs in tow staying at many a hotel with a hyper dog. We've paid our dues. We wanted a relaxing weekend.
We hit a brewery tour and then Brady Street which is an artsy little section of town with shops and galleries and plenty of dogs prancing about. I felt the need to stop and pet all of them, which my husband thinks is dandy as long as I pass them a business card as then I am actually marketing, which I always feel strange doing. The truth of it is I don't want people to think I am just canoodling with their dog just so I can pitch a collar sale. I'm here to state for the record I would smooch your pooch regardless.
At dinner Saturday we ate in the outdoor lounge at the Iron Horse called The Yard and of coarse I quickly befriended Bruno the Bassett Hound who was conveniently sitting at the next table over. Bruno was soon rolling on his back for tummy rubs and giving me sad hound dog eyes when my entree arrived as he was apparently in the early stages of starvation based on his pathetic expression. I was chatting with his Dogmom and DogDad and my husband ever the salesperson was whispering to me "give them a business card already!" So as we finished dinner and left our table I boldly went over and handed out my card and could see the people looking at each other suspiciously like I was a Used Car Salesman - so I blurted out "Email me and I'll send a free collar to Bruno!" So this is my new shtick, if I ogle your dog in a public I may offer a free collar up. It takes away the stigma that I just adoring the dog for sake of marketing my business. I know, I know...I am the world's worst salesperson.
Sunday we had brunch in the Third Ward District of Milwaukee and it was dog heaven, lots of happy pups strutting around. I redeemed myself with Alex a bit by stopping in a dog boutique and legitimately pitching Lucky Fiona. Otherwise it was collar-palooza as I offered up freebies to every set of paws that wiggled it's butt. I don't think Alex is going to take me out of town again for awhile.

3 comments:

  1. Even though Alex might not be thrilled with all the freebies, he'll be excited with the return business. It's a fact that you can't own just one Lucky Fiona collar. You end up liking them all and can't decide so order a bunch...

    I love finding new stuff for the pooches, so if someone who oggled my dog then passed me a business card, I'd be thrilled to be able to say, "I met the person that makes these!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet are you? :)

    That bassett is a doll... :)

    (i too, have this weird obession with other people's dogs... i'm guilty of baby talking to them, etc)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you know I love Bassets and definitely pictures of Bassets. You can oogle mine anytime!!

    ReplyDelete