Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What to Feed or Not to Feed...that is the Question

I don't know where it got so confusing but it is. I recently was chatting with a friend of mine who was afraid to tell me she was feeding her dog Iams. I asked her why the heck she was sheepish to tell me that and she replied "Well, because you know everything about what is right and wrong to feed a dog and I didn't want you to think badly of me!"
Have I become one of those people? Am I dog food elitist?
I hope that is far from the truth, in fact in retrospect I realize how confusing the whole spectrum of what to feed our animal companions has become. I am just like everybody else trying to keep up with a changing world of what to feed or not feed my furred-kids. I read studies, I listen to food reps and their testimonials of why their product is the best and I research a bit on my own and I'm still confused. Worse yet, even if you think you're on the right track there is always somebody out there at the dog park or standing next to you at the dog specialty shop telling you how wrong you are! (which of coarse equates to you being the worst Dogmom in history)
For years I worked in vet offices where we preached the holy grail of no people food for animals. Now you are looked down upon if your dog's food is not human grade or fit for people to eat. Likewise soft food for dogs and cats used to be a one way ticket to obesity and a teeth cleaning. "They need hard kibble to clean tartar on teeth!" Now we are told hard kibble for dogs and cats is the equivalent of trying to brush your teeth with a potato chip and not necessary. Never give a dog a meat bone - they'll choke! No wait... meaty bones are the basis of many natural diets! Search for an unusual protein source like venison or lamb for itchy skin. Now you also have to search out your unusual protein source is not only very unusual (like quail, alligator or kangaroo) but also hormone and antibiotic free and farm raised without cages and not from China. Don't buy a food that is not labeled a "premium diet" but now all the foods you see are labeled as premium! Back in the day purchasing dog food from the supermarket was tabboo and Petsmart was where serious dog nutrition guardians shopped. Now Petsmart is like the supermarket and you wouldn't want to be caught dead there buying your food and you have to search out a specialty shop to get holistic and natural foods or order online.
Raw vs. Cooked?
Grain vs. Grain Free?
Vegan or Meat?
Oy...it'll make your head spin.
All I know is my animal companions eat better than I do and I probably put more effort into their meals than I do for my own. (can you hear my husband nodding?) This fact was not lost on me as I drove across town the other day to pick up the dog's Sojo's Grain Free dehydrated mix and hurried home to mix it up with freshly chopped vegetables and meat and stored it in pre-measured tupperware containers. After preparing 4 days worth of the dog's delightfully nutritious meals I was too unmotivated to think about dinner for Alex and I and ordered a pizza for us. Yes, that's right. My dogs got free range hormone free/antibiotic free chicken with organic sweet potatoes, apples, green beans, carrots and other yummy bits and we got Dominos. Something is indeed wrong with this picture.
The other irony of coarse is that my dogs would eat cat poop or rotten garbage with the same enthusiasm as their finely crafted meals. I'm pretty sure they are unaware that the veggies I feed them are organic and that I've voided gluten from their diets. But I sleep better at night knowing I am giving them what I at the moment perceive is the best for them. Really this is all any of us can do and I promise not to judge...unless you are feeding something really awful. No wait...I promise, no judgement! Just love your animal companions and feed them what you think is best.
I have to go now to buy the cats some canned food with menhaden fish which is a type of fish that swims in the middle layer of the ocean where less pollutants are. It's healthier for them. Maybe afterwards I'll swing through the Burger King drive thru for dinner. Sigh.

5 comments:

  1. Shannon you always CRACK me up with your blog. I totally agree. Dogs get healthy organic nummies - and my husband and I live on pizza....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! Well said Shannon... thanks for the peace of mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. So funny! and sooooo true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way! My dogs eat organic, free range food and we humans eat crap. Better food does make a difference to my guys though. They have better skin and coats and only go to the vet for their shots. Of course they would rather eat horse and cat crap, but oh well. I'll keep shelling out the big bucks if it gives me a chance that they will be around longer. Isn't that what it boils down to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I'm a weird food fanatic and am constantly searching for something better... finally settled and content with Honest Kitchen and Wellness... BUT for anyone interested, there are great books out there. A really good one is Food Pets Die For. It's written by a journalist so it's pretty unbiased (in my journalistic opinion!)... LOVED this post btw!!

    (Nola did too, she indicated this by not moving when I shouted 'way to go' when I started reading what it was about...) :P

    ReplyDelete